Abandon - Meg Cabot
cross posted from my blog: http://sapphiredragon.blogspot.com

I was really excited to read this book. The whole re-adaption and inspiration of the Hades/Persephone story seemed incredibly intriguing and I couldn't wait to see what Cabot would do with it.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there is a story there and I did enjoy it but I felt the way it was told drew it out out a little too much and then the flashbacks confused the issue more than it clarified.

I found myself a little frustrated at the way each chapter was drawn out and would allude to what was to happen further on in such a way that it drew from the suspense rather than added to it. I also found myself a little fristrated with main character, Pierce, who seemed to vacillate between total cluelessness and knowing almost too much and found the revelations toward the end came just a little too easily.

That being said, there was a definitely story there and I still found myself wanting to read to the end to see where it was going.

This is the first book in a trilogy so it was clear Cabot was trying to set up the trilogy as well as tell a first instalment story. Despite the above, I did actually really quite enjoy the story and will continue to read the next instalment as I am still intrigued as to where it will go however the above did distract me a little from the story bring my rating of this book from from four to three stars.

Definitely worth reading especially if you are not easily distracted by writing styles.